Saturday 6 February 2016

The Ministry of the Sacrament


1. Invitation : (After uncovering the elements of the Lord’s Supper)

Here the gracious words of the Lord -
"I tell you the truth; he who believes has everlasting life. I am the bread of life. Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert, yet they died. But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which a man may eat and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he/she will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."

Jesus also said - "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

2. Let us pray : Gracious and loving God, we thank you - for you did not spare your only son, but gave him for us all. Lord, we are indeed grateful, for your suffering on the cross for our sake, so that we may have life. May all thanks be to you.

We also want to thank you, O Holy Spirit, for you help us, to recollect the love of God, the father and the passion of our Lord Jesus.

O God, we bow before you now, expecting your blessing. Be gracious to grant us fellowship, with you through this communion. May this precious blood and bread, be the quickening to the weak, a healing for the sick, sanctification for the wicket, and a strengthening of faith to doubting ones. We ask, in the name of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ. AMEN

3. Words of Institution (Minister)

3.1. Breaking of the bread
For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you that the Lord Jesus on the night he was betrayed took bread, (the minister takes the bread, breaks it and says) and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, : This is my body which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.

3.2. The Cup of wine
In the same way, Jesus took the cup, (the minister will take the cup) gave thanks and offered it to them, and he said, “This is the new covenant in my blood; which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sin. Do this, as often as you drink it in remembrance of me”.

Therefore, in obedience to our Lord’s command, we shall take this bread and wine. And let us remember that – the cup and bread which we bless are a sharing of blood and body of our Lord Jesus Christ.

May the Lord bless each every one of us, that we may remember him and that the Holy Spirit that was in him be within us.

4. (Minister will hand over the bread and wine….. and they will serve)


5. While partaking the bread and wine (Minister) :
(after offering the elements to the elders, and while the elders serves the element the music may be played or some scriptural portions will be read)
- “For as often as we eat this bread and drink the cup, we proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes”
- “This is the body of our Lord Jesus Christ, which is given for you. This is the blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, which is shed for you”
- Jesus said - “Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them”
- "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."
- “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.”

6. After Communion (Minister) – the table will be covered by servers

7. Prayer of thanksgiving: having received this holy sacrament, let us give thanks to God.
Gracious God, we thank you for offering us the body and blood of Jesus Christ. Through him we also offer ourselves to be a living sacrifice. Help us by the power of your Holy Spirit to live and work to your praise and glory. Through Christ our Lord and Saviour Jesus, AMAN!

8. Hymn

9. The Lord’s Prayer

10. Benediction: May the blessing of God the Almighty, the father, the son and the Holy Spirit, rest and abide with us now and forever more.

Source: Serampore College Hymn Book (Few modifications have been made by me)

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHAW THA